Veterinarians use scales to weigh small to medium sized animals including kittens and puppies along with more exotic species like birds and reptiles. We offers veterinary scales for animals and pets ranging from the smallest birds to horses and other livestock.
The general types of veterinary scales are:
- Floor scales – These are low profile scales that allow animals to safely step on for weighing. Some floor scales are portable while others may be quite large with enough space to accommodate a horse or cow. Floor scales often have ramps to make it easier for animals to mount the equipment.
- Platform scales – A platform scale is a larger type of scale often used for weighing farm animals.
- Portable scales – Portable scales are usually used for weighing smaller animals and they have the advantage of allowing the vet to carry them on house calls.
What to look for in a veterinary scale
Good quality veterinary scales should be rugged and have features that make them easy and safe to use. Some of the items to look for when shopping for scales include:
- Construction materials – Generally stainless steel is one of the best materials for durability. Animal claws can cause scratching and other damage, so it is often best to look for a scale made of rugged construction materials. Corrosion resistant metal is preferable for the weighing platform.
- Safety – The scale should have a low profile that makes it easy for animals to step on to the platform or for someone to lift the animal on to the platform. The surface of the platform should not cause the animal to slip easily. Often a rubber mat helps provide for more secure footing.
- Readability – The digital readout provided should have graphics large enough for the veterinarian or assistant to read easily.
- Accuracy – For smaller animals, the veterinary scale should have sufficient accuracy to distinguish relatively small changes in weight.
- Portability – Scales should be light in weight and easy to move.
- Water resistant – The load cells, computer and display equipment should be water resistant.
- Warranty – Good quality equipment will have a warranty that protects the consumer.
Arlyn Veterinary Scales
We offer three types of scales for vet offices that can accommodate animals ranging from small birds to the largest livestock.
The 320 and 620 VET series scales are lightweight equipment ideal for weighing small animals in a vet office. The 320A scales are useful for weighing livestock, alpacas and llamas, while the COMBO-VET scales offer customers the option of choosing multiple scales as part of a package.
Arlyn veterinary scales are durable and of the highest quality, and they come with a three-year warranty on parts and labor.
The 320-Vet-Small is an ideal scale for weighing small to medium-sized animals in a veterinary office. The scale has a 20-inch by 27-inch platform with accurate weight resolution.
Like all the Arlyn 3200 series, the Vet-Small utilizes the same high quality construction used for the company’s heavy duty industrial scales. The load cells are durable and rust resistant, which is important because all types of “accidents” can occur in a vet’s office.
The outstanding features of the Arlyn 320-Vet-Small include:
- Lightweight and easy to move around the office or to bring on house calls. Inexpensive shipping.
- Low profile platform – The platform is low enough for small animals like birds, cats and reptiles.
- Non-slip rubber mat – The mat prevents animals from slipping on the stainless steel load cell.
- Heavy duty industrial construction – The frame consists of welded aluminum and the load cells are stainless steel for excellent durability.
- High capacity and resolution – The 320-Vet-Small has a high resolution of 0.1 lb, which is essential for registering weight changes of small animals. The capacity for the scale is 500 lbs.
- No moving parts – Embedded load cells in the welded aluminum frame provide excellent protection against shock and wear. The lack of moving parts enhances safety for animals and workers.
- Large readable display – The display is highly readable featuring one-inch high block graphics with a swivel mounting that allows viewing from all angles.
- Weight Average and Hold feature – The digital indicator allows users to weigh animals even while they are moving around on the platform.
- Water resistance – Plastic sealing protects the display and sensor equipment from moisture.
- Three-year warranty – Arlyn veterinary scales come with a three-year parts and labor warranty.
The Arlyn 6200 Series veterinary scales are even smaller and provide a higher weight resolution for use with the smallest animals. The 6200 scales have the same features as the 320-Vet-Small, but the equipment is lighter and easier to move around.
- 620L-Vet — 50 lb capacity and 0.01 lb weight resolution with 12″ x 16″ platform
- 620T-Vet — 25 lb capacity and 0.005 lb weight resolution with 12″ x 16″ platform
- 620X-Vet — 10 lb capacity and 0.002 lb weight resolution with 12″ x 16″ platform
With a weight resolution of 0.002 lbs, the 620X-Vet is perfect for measuring the smallest animals. We offer an optional rechargeable battery pack and an optional USB port with free Windows-based software for all its veterinary scales.
We enjoy a distinguished reputation
Based in Long Island, New York, Arlyn Scales has more than 30 years of experience in developing and manufacturing high quality equipment for the weighing industry. The company has mastered techniques for producing scales of high value that sell at prices that are three to five times less than comparable equipment on the market.
All Arlyn scales ship directly to the customer, which allows the company to cut out dealer costs and pass the savings on to its clients. Our scale manufacturing process involves design and manufacture of all the product sub-assemblies including load cells, processing equipment and computer equipment.
We proudly manufacture all of our products in the USA with a strong focus on providing customers with dependable equipment featuring the latest technology combined with excellent durability.
For more information on Arlyn’s veterinary office scales for small animals, please call (516)593-4465, during Eastern Time business hours, Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Our representatives can discuss which of our scales would be right for your specific needs.
Alternatively, you can contact us by email using our online contact form Our website also has detailed product descriptions including those for our veterinary scales: www.arlynscales.com. Users can purchase items directly from the website using our convenient shopping cart technology with fully secure, encrypted financial transactions to ensure only the best protection and highest level of convenience for you.