Data Logging with Google Spreadsheets
In addition to logging data locally (i.e. internal database and exported to USB stick), the Arlyn UpScale also features the ability to perform Data Logging with Google Spreadsheets. The logging of data can be observed almost in real time (allowing for a 2 second delay due to the time it takes for the data to be posted to the internet).
Any Google Spreadsheet can be used to implement this feature as long as edit permissions have been set appropriately. Use the steps below to create and configure a Google Spreadsheet to accept data.
Using a live Google Spreadsheet for Data Logging is especially useful for customers who want to view their scale data logging live anywhere at any time. It’s a simple replacement of complex and rigid web logging method that is still being used by other scale vendors.
Here are other benefits of live Google Spreadsheet logging.
- View incoming scale data from anywhere in the world.
- Share incoming live data with anyone who has the Google Spreadsheet link
- Perform live analysis of incoming data such as daily weight increase and weight distribution.
- Use full spectrum of Google Spreadsheet capabilities and add-ons on incoming data. No proprietary software needed.
- No need to wait until the end of period before exporting data from scale.
A demonstration of live Google Spreadsheet logging can be seen in this YouTube video.
- Google Spreadsheet logging will only work if the scale is connected to the internet through WiFi or Ethernet.
- If the internet is disconnected, the scale will continue to log into its own internal table. This can be later exported through email or using a USB Flash Drive.
- Google Spreadsheet logging is slower than local Scale logging due to the delay in opening a connection to the internet and posting the data on the spreadsheet.
- Google also has fallback rate limits. If the logging happens too frequently, then the Google Spreadsheet engine throttles incoming data speeds. Experiments show that setting the log period at 10 seconds is appropriate.
- Google Spreadsheet must be initiated through an account first. Once the spreadsheet has been initialized, it can then be set to be accessed by anyone with the link to the spreadsheet.
Data Logging with Google Spreadsheets is automatically built in when the following options are purchased during any scale* configuration.
- Indicator: Arlyn UpScale Touchscreen Indicator
- Output: Wi-Fi or Ethernet TCP/IP
- Data Collection: USB Data Logging & Migration
At Arlyn Scales, we want to help you collect accurate, real-time data from your industrial scales and other weighing products. Our high-quality scales come with different logging and recording systems to best fit your needs, and we have engineers who can create custom scales if needed.
Contact us today to learn more about our scales and recording systems. We are here to help you find the best fit for your business.