When certain manufacturing processes are put into practice, especially those that involve the formulating of various liquids and chemicals, it’s often necessary to determine and control the flow rate of these chemical ingredients. Furthermore, by automating the control and measurement of the flow rate, companies can better control their inventory and precisely dispense more material as needed.
At Arlyn Scales, we offer a number of industrial scales that feature our flow rate measurement program, allowing our customers to quickly and easily control the flow of certain materials, all with the help of one of our highly reliable and precise scales.
In business for more than 30 years, Arlyn Scales is a virtual fixture in the weighing industry. All of our scales are built using our in-house technology, which includes our internationally patented Surface Acoustic Wave (SAW) scales.
Why Purchase a Scale from Arlyn Scales?
When purchasing a scale from Arlyn Scales, you’re tapping in to our over 3 decades of experience in the industry. In the last 30 years, we’ve seen a number of other scale companies come and go. We’ve remained a fixture in the scale industry, because of a variety of key tenets:
- S. Based Manufacturing – All of our scales are not only built in the U.S., but designed here as well. We’re headquartered in Long Island, where all of our scales are designed and built. We don’t believe in shipping our manufacturing jobs overseas. We’d rather provide a higher quality scale to our customers than run the risk of quality control issues due to overseas manufacturing.
- Factory Direct Approach – Another misconception in the scale industry is that you have to buy a scale directly from a distributor as opposed to a manufacturer. At Arlyn Scales, we don’t agree with this philosophy. We sell all of our scales factory direct to our customers.
- Top Notch Customer Service – Because all of our scales are made right here in the U.S., we’re able to offer the highest level of customer service to our customers. Typically, if you were to call into our offices with an issue, you’d be talking to someone who may have actually built your scale, as opposed to someone that is literally thousands of miles away from where your scale was actually produced.
- High End Features – Because of our unique design and manufacturing processes, we’re able to offer high end features at competitive prices. One of the features that is used by many of our industrial customers is our flow rate measurement program.
How to Calculate Flow Rate?
To help you understand how flow rate works, let’s imagine that one of our customers had a full tank of chemical sitting on a scale. They could then have a hose that connects this tank into some type of process that requires a certain amount of liquid to be dispensed, such as 1 gallon per minute, which is known as the flow rate.
Arlyn’s Flow Rate Measurement Program calculates the flow rate by measuring the amount of weight that is lost from the tank during a specific period of time. In the example listed above, let’s assume that 1 gallon of material weights 8 pounds. The customer is using our Arlyn 320D scale, which has a capacity of 500 lb. and readability of 0.1 lb. If the starting weight is 500.00 lb., and 15 seconds later the scale reads 498.0 lb., then the scale knows that the liquid is leaving the tank at a rate of 2.0 lb. in ¼ of a minute. This then translates into 8 lb. in 1 minute, or 1 gallon per minute, which is ultimately the flow rate.
Using Arlyn’s Ultra Precision Scales to Quickly Obtain Flow Rates
Depending on the application, it may be necessary to obtain the flow rate as quickly as possible, and to also update the flow rate as often as possible. Arlyn’s Ultra Precision Scales are ideal for this purpose. If we still use the same example above, but instead of using the Arlyn 320D, use the SAW-KWL scale, which also has a 500 lb. capacity, but a superior readability of 0.005 lb., we’ll be able to obtain flow rate readings much faster. Because the SAW-KXL scale offers twenty times more resolution, it is able to calculate a flow rate 20 times faster, or in less than 1 second.
Additional Features of Arlyn’s Ultra Precision Scales
Aside from being able to calculate flow rate quickly, and extremely accurately, our Ultra Precision Scales offer a whole host of other features that are applauded by our customers. A few of these include:
- Arlyn UpScale Touchscreen Indicator – Arlyn Scales has recently redesigned their display indicator to feature an Android powered, IPS touchscreen that offers our own proprietary software to control our industrial scales. This revolutionary touchscreen is extremely user friendly, water resistant, rugged and jam packed with the latest Quad core processor to ensure it will serve your needs for years to come.
- Superior Measurements – Rather than measuring the strain placed on a spring element (strain gage scales), our Ultra Precision Scales measure displacement using our patented SAW transducers. This allows our measurements to be extremely precise, without sacrificing capacity.
- Data Transfer Options – In the same way that our scales can control flow rate for your materials, they also can instantly provide weight data through a variety of communication options. Whether you’re looking to transfer weight data via USB, Ethernet, WiFi, RS-232, or simply using a USB drive, Arlyn Scales can help.
Ready to Learn More About Our Flow Rate Measurement Program and SAW Scales?
We hope you’ve learned a few things about how Arlyn Scales continues to design and manufacture the highest quality scales on the market. For more information about our Flow Rate Measurement Program, or to learn more about our patented SAW technology, feel free to reach out to our team by phone today at 800-645-4301, or through our online contact form. We look forward to hearing from you soon.